Contact us

Chat with us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
TTY: 08 9225 7831
(Hearing impaired only)
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Insurance agent

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Insurance agents sell life, home, car and other insurance policies to individuals and organisations. Insurance agents are employees of an insurance provider and sell that company's policies. Insurance agents contact potential clients to arrange interviews so that they can discuss the client's needs and suggest an appropriate insurance policy. When discussing insurance policies with potential clients the insurance agent outlines the risks that the policy covers, the rates the client will have to pay and the how much they can expect to be paid if they make a claim.

ANZSCO description: Represents insurance companies in selling insurance to clients. Registration or licensing is required.
Alternative names:
Specialisations: Insurance Underwriter, Life Assurance Representative
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

An insurance agent needs:

  • good communication skills
  • an aptitude for working with numbers and calculations
  • a high level of perseverance and motivation
  • good interpersonal skills.
Back to top

Working conditions

Most insurance agents in Western Australia work in offices in the Perth metropolitan region, though there are work opportunities throughout the State. They typically spend long periods on the phone, attracting new clients and maintaining relationships with existing clients. Some travel to client's homes or workplaces may also be required. Some insurance agents may sell policies to clients in a particular industry, so may have to regularly visit industrial sites. For example, selling agricultural insurance may require farm visits.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, insurance agents can expect to earn between $1 000 and $1 249 per week ($52 000 and $64 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As an insurance agent develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Insurance agents use standard office equipment, such as computers, telephones, printers and fax machines. They may also use calculators and/or computer programs to compare the costs and pay-outs of different insurance policies as well as the premiums clients will have to pay. They may also need a driver's licence so that they can travel to clients' homes or workplaces.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as an insurance agent without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in insurance or financial services.

The Certificate III in Financial Services is offered at registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can complete a traineeship. The insurance clerk and insurance officer (general) traineeships usually take 12 to 18 months to complete. The insurance clerk traineeship is available as a school-based traineeship.

You may need to hold an Australian Financial Services (AFS) Licence to work in this field. Contact the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) for more information.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Need advice?

Profile and social options