Contact us

Chat with us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
TTY: 08 9225 7831
(Hearing impaired only)
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Construction rigger

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Construction riggers assemble, install, position and secure construction rigging such as working platforms, pulleys and winches used to undertake heavy lifting for construction projects. They determine the most effective manner in which to lift the object by examining it, determining its size and weight and deciding on the right equipment. They install and secure cables, ropes and other equipment like pulleys and winches, and erect cranes to assist in the job. They may also erect structural steel or concrete framework, as well as inspecting, repairing and maintaining rigging equipment. Construction riggers work all over the state, from large office buildings to mining sites and schools or hospitals in rural towns.

ANZSCO description: Assembles and installs rigging gear, such as cables, ropes, pulleys and winches, to lift, lower, move and position equipment, structural steel and other heavy objects. Registration or licensing may be required.
Alternative names: Rigger
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A construction rigger needs:

  • practical and manual skills
  • problem solving skills
  • to be unafraid of heights
  • physical fitness and stamina
  • the ability to work as part of a team
  • to be safety conscious
Back to top

Working conditions

Construction riggers work on building and construction sites. They often work at heights, and conditions may be dangerous. They work in most weather conditions, excluding heavy rain or high winds. They usually work regular hours.

Back to top

Salary details

Construction riggers, classified under structural steel construction workers, can expect to earn between $1 500 and $1 999 per week ($78 000 and $103 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a construction worker develops their skills and broadens their experience, their earning potential will generally increase.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Construction riggers work primarily with rigging equipment such as ropes, chains, pulleys, winches and cables. They also use hand tools such as scaffold spanners and hammers, as well as ladders, safety harnesses and protective clothing such as helmets and work boots. Riggers may also drive vehicles that can be used for transporting rigging equipment, such as utility vehicles or flat-bed trucks.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To work as a construction rigger in Western Australia, you must obtain a High Risk Work Licence issued by WorkSafe.

In order to be issued a High Risk Work Licence, you must be at least 18 years old and complete a training course in rigging work, conducted by registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. There are three classes of rigging licence – basic, intermediate and advanced.

You can also complete a traineeship. The rigging traineeship usually takes 24 months to complete.

Workers in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (commonly known as a "white card"). In Western Australia, training is conducted by registered training organisations authorised by WorkSafe.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options