Contact us

Chat with us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
TTY: 08 9225 7831
(Hearing impaired only)
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Child care centre manager

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Child care centre managers provide care and supervision for young children by directing the operations and personnel of child care centres and facilities. Regular activities may include the tailored development and implementation of programs for children, the coordination of child care workers and volunteers, and active discussions with parents and clients. Child care centre managers might also be required to create programs and activities for children with special needs or those with a disability. They also run the business side of child care centres, so associated tasks might include bookkeeping and certain administrative duties.

ANZSCO description: Plans, organises, directs, controls and coordinates the activities of a child care centre or service including physical and human resources.
Alternative names: Child Care Centre Director, Child Care Coordinator
Job prospects: Good
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A child care centre manager needs:

  • good judgement and initiative
  • patience and composure
  • good knowledge of business
  • to be responsibile and mature
  • to be able to work effectively and thoughtfully with children
  • strong leadership skills.
Back to top

Working conditions

This work environment tends to be noisy, and with typically so many children in their care, child care centre managers need to be aware of everything happening within their workplace at all times. Work hours tend to be regular.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, child care center managers can expect to earn between $1 000 and $1 249 per week ($52 000 and $64 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a child care centre manager develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Child care centre managers need to keep up to date with children's social development requirements, to ensure that the best practices are incorporated into any programs and activities provided. Aside from technologies such as spread sheets and bookkeeping programs used for administrative tasks, they also work with children's learning tools, aids and toys.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To become a child care centre manager, you usually need to complete a formal qualification in early childhood education and care.

The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care is offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also complete a traineeship. The childhood education manager traineeship usually takes 36 months to complete.
You can complete a degree in education majoring in early childhood education, early childhood and care, or early childhood studies.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

To work in child care centres in Western Australia, you must obtain a National Police Certificate and a Working with Children Check issued by the Working with Children Screening Unit of the Department of Community Services​. You may also need to hold a current Provide First Aid Certificate.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Need advice?

Profile and social options