Contact us

Chat with us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
TTY: 08 9225 7831
(Hearing impaired only)
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Building insulation installer

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Building insulation installers fit various forms of insulation in the walls, ceilings and thermal bridges (such as metal cross beams) of homes and commercial buildings to improve their energy efficiency. They decide on the most appropriate type of insulation required for a job, depending on cost and building type. They cut, fit and finish the insulation, placing it either into partially completed walls and ceilings, or completed buildings. They also install both acoustic and thermal environment protection systems. Building insulation installers work throughout Western Australia - on construction sites, and in completed homes and commercial buildings.

ANZSCO description: Installs and applies insulating material, such as foam, granules, foil, solar film, batts and blankets, to walls, floors, windows and ceilings of buildings to insulate against heat, cold, air, sound and moisture (registration or licensing may be required).
Alternative names:
Specialisations: Window Tinter (Building)
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A building insulation installer needs:

  • good organisation skills
  • the ability to work at heights and in small spaces
  • practical and manual skills
  • physical strength and stamina
  • good problem-solving skills.
Back to top

Working conditions

Building insulation installers work on-site in homes, offices, schools and a range of other commercial and industrial buildings. They may work on buildings that are under construction - or established buildings, refitting or reinstalling insulation. They are often required to work in cramped spaces, and at heights. Conditions may be hot and dusty, and if working outside they may be exposed to the elements. They usually work regular hours but may be required to work longer hours on certain projects.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, building insulation installers, classified under insulation and home improvement installers, can expect to earn between $1 000 and $1 249 per week ($52 000 and $64 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a building insulation installer develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.

Some building insulation installers are self-employed and/or work as part of a team as an individual sub-contractor. Earnings for sub-contractors or small business operators will depend on their level of skill and experience, the level of demand for their services, as well as the amount of work completed.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Building insulation installers use a wide range of hand tools to install insulation, including knives, saws, tape measures, wire cutters, pliers and wrenches, scissors, trowels, staplers, rulers, compasses, levelling planes and trimming blades. They work with bulk insulation such as batts and blankets, which may be made of materials such as glass wool, rock wool, natural wool or polyester, as well as other forms of insulation such as polyester boards and reflective foil laminate. They may need to wear safety equipment such as gloves, boots, goggles and hard hats.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as a building insulation installer without formal qualifications and get training on the job.

You may improve your chances of gaining employment by completing a short course in insulation installing offered by registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Workers entering construction sites must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (commonly known as a “white card”). In Western Australia, training is conducted by registered training oganisations authorised by WorkSafe.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Need advice?

Profile and social options