Contact us

Chat with us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
TTY: 08 9225 7831
(Hearing impaired only)
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Settlement agent

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Settlement agents advise clients on the sale of their property and prepare all documentation. They conduct required searches with government departments. They attend at the exchange of contracts on settlement day. They may also prepare and advise on lease documentation. 

ANZSCO description: Acts for and on behalf of clients in the area of property and business transfers. Registration or licensing may be required.
Alternative names: Property Conveyancer, Conveyancer
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A Settlement agent needs:

  • good organisational skills
  • good communication skills
  • sound judgement
  • basic computer skills
  • honesty and integrity
Back to top

Working conditions

Settlement agents normally work 38 hours, Monday to Friday in an office. 

Back to top

Salary details

On average, settlement agents and legal executives, can expect to earn between $1 000 and $1 249 per week ($52 000 and $64 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a settlement agent develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Settlement agents need to be proficient with computers and software specific to their discipline. 

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To become a settlement agent you need to complete an accredited qualification in conveyancing.

The Diploma of Conveyancing is offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

To work as a settlement agent in Western Australia, you must hold a Settlement Agent’s Licence issued by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. A National Police Certificate, proof of completion of a Diploma of Conveyancing, and two years of practical experience as a settlement agent are required to gain a Settlement Agent’s Licence. Contact the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety for more information.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Need advice?

Profile and social options